Saturday, April 3, 2010

Beauty in the Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross
Upon which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it Lord that I should boast
Save in the death of Christ my God
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His hands, His head, His feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

At the foot of the cross where grace and suffering meet
You have given me life in the death you bore for me
And you've won my heart, yes you've won my heart

So I can trade these ashes in for beauty
and wear forgiveness like a crown.
Coming to kiss the feet of mercy
I lay every burden down
at the foot of the cross.

And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments. And the people stood by, watching, but the rulers scoffed at him, saying, "He saved others; let him save himself, if he is the Christ of God, his Chosen One!"....It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then, Jesus, calling out with a loud voice said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last. Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God, saying, "Certainly this man was innocent!"

In the cross of Christ alone, I glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment