Friday, February 12, 2010

Un-suppressable Joy

This morning I picked up my good friend Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper for my morning read. The chapter was all about JOY from Jesus. 


Isn't joy a funny thing? We all know we're supposed to have it. We all feel good when we DO. But as soon as life gets a little rough, at least my world collapses and I lose all the joy I once had. That just proves that I have my hope and attention based in the wrong things.


Jesus himself --and all that God is for us in him--is our great reward, nothing less....Forgiveness gets everything out of the way so [salvation] can happen. If this fellowship is not all-satisfying, there is no great salvation. (Piper, 35)
Indomitable joy does not mean that there is only joy. Was He divided, torn between joy and sorrow? Can an infinitely glorious soul be troubled? Yes, troubled, but not torn and disunited. Christ was complex, but he was not confused. There were divergent notes in the music of his soul but the result was a symphony. (Piper, 38)
So yes, there will be sadness. And confusion. And hurt. But with Jesus, we have a joy that surpasses it all. At least, when I remember that my hope is in Jesus--not popularity, not success, not comfort--there can be joy even through the hard stuff.

Through the agonies of Gethsemane and Golgotha, Jesus was sustained by indestructible joy. "For the joy that was set before him [he] endured the cross, despising its shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2 (Piper, 38)

Thank you, Mr. Piper for an inspiring morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment