Thursday, March 18, 2010

Becoming Proverbs 31

Tonight at the women's Bible study I go to, we talked about Proverbs 31 and the woman typified there. I love the beauty of the woman...hard worker, wise, speaks carefully, worry-free, skilled at home work, works outside of the home, prepares for the future, thrifty, considerate, physically strong, emotionally strong, compassionate--the list goes on and on.

Actually, to be totally honest, being a "Proverbs 31 woman" turns me off. I've heard it for so long describing the nice and neat little home maker who knits and makes elaborate meals with her home-grown fruits and veggies. I've never been that kind of girl, and so when I hear we're going to talk about the Proverbs 31 woman, I naturally shy away.

But with the discussion we had tonight, I'm beginning to see that it doesn't mean the stereotype I've come to expect. One thing that I loved that was brought up is that this is just a picture. Some of us have strengths in other areas. That was so encouraging to me.

I see my mom in so many aspects of this verse. I also see it in the lives of many of the women God has put in my life. I see how a Proverbs 31 woman can be a strong woman who still submits to her husband, but can work outside of the home/be honorable (it never says she has to be a stay at home mom) and love Jesus at the same time.

So tonight I'm thankful that Jesus showed up at the Bible study and showed me how wrong I was to shy away from this passage. It is, indeed, a beautiful picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment