Wednesday, March 31, 2010

**100th Post!!**

For my 100th post I was trying to think of something really cool to say. But all I could think of is one of my new favorite verses:

"He has shown you, o man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you: but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

There's a lot of things I love about this verse. I love the three main things highlighted:

  • justice
  • mercy
  • humility
I think it's pretty obvious that I love justice. In my life there have been a few things I'm passionate about, one of them is teens pursuing Jesus, one of them is justice. I hate injustice on a global scale, but I also hate it on a local scale. My career decision makes sense then, yes? I think one of the things that appeals most about our great God is that he is just. Granted that means some people I love who don't know the saving grace of Jesus will go to hell. But the fact that God is perfectly just makes me love him so much.

The concept of mercy is so beautiful. " mer·cy n. 1 a : compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; also : lenient or compassionate treatment" First of all, yes this is what Jesus showed us. But second, this is an area I think Jesus is growing in my life. To choose to look past wrongs or pain and show kindness to someone is a very high and hard calling. Another definition of mercy is showing compassion toward the poor or helpless. I think that's easier for me just because it doesn't involve me swallowing my feelings or hurt. And it gets back to justice.

Humility is one area in which I have no problem announcing my inadequacy to the world. I'm an actor. I'm used to everything being about me. I love attention. I love being right all the time. I love pointing out where people go wrong. I love talking about other people's problems and complaining about them. I really suck at humility. The funny thing about it is that the moment you think "hey! I'm getting better at humility!" that's just pride all over again. Alas this is an area I will fight with for the rest of my life.

So do what is good and what the Lord requires of you. Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment